Tuesday 23 November 2021

Five Poems by R.T. Castleberry

 




LEAVING THE NIGHT, THIS WINE

 

Mid-week, mid-August

sibilance of distant voices disturbs.

Rainfall chances heighten in the heat.

The highway grass holds secrets,

lure of a healing shrine,

wine-stained ghost story.

Yellow penthouses spike

the perimeter garden parks.

Museum galleries emptied of

cut, curve, splice of color

sit secured behind scavenger chains.

 

Maine summer memories wither,

shaping a child’s decades.

Lodged in stasis, we argued

a Chinatown courtship of

opium pipe and ginger prawns,

biography’s careless sense.

I tossed it to the table:

Practice to your limitations.

I don’t want questions.

Give me your answers to

the test of days alarms.

 

Lantern lines twist in a rising wind.

Ballroom parties assemble

along the River Walk.

Like a wraith, collapse

wends through all conversation.

I take the dining change,

stuff it in my pocket,

follow you to the pier.

Wrung from confusion’s choice,

arrangement ironies,

the alphabet of secrets leaves us

lying in our final letters:

You fell in love.

I moved in another’s direction.

 

 

ONE MORE THING TO TRY 

 

Waiting for my day to change,

I’m parked outside a house by

the Union Pacific tracks.

In the car I catch

the singer’s meaning on CD.

I follow lines in the lyric sheet,

tell myself to take the blame

for cruelties charted,

those cloaked windows.

 

I trust four people and no memories.

I cultivate a cryptic streak of mean,

odd resentments that pressure my temper.

The border a few days drive,

disappearing is possible on

hunting trails, river tracks

to jungle pyramids.

 

Porch light flicks off,

curtains pulled for the morning.

Rock garden and rose bushes

shine with dew.

Watch loose on my wrist, I empty

my chicory coffee into the street.

Stepping out of the car,

I prepare an answer

I don’t trust myself to give. 

 

 

NO ONE ANSWERS THE WARY LOVER

 

Wrecked upon the land,

a fallen angel testifies at the cross,

survivors sneer at contradictions

in prayer over supplication.

Storm shadows roll—

no rain, but a threat.

 

There was beauty yesterday.

Standing in the doorway a few seconds,

I watched highs wind dissolve

a cloud across the chalk-blue sky.

Now a hospital van creeps the block,

my wife touches my shoulder,

turns me back to an argument

of black humour and terse words.

 

We are rending a marriage,

moving from discord,

from penitential psalm.

In these hours, this arena

we battle like inquisitor and accused

resolved to recrimination.

 

In a misty October freeze,

one of us will take the Galilee highway,

the other, a goat to sacrifice

upon a Damascus peak.

We’ll make our way

to other borders, learn our lives again. 

 

 

A FEAST, THIS RIGHTEOUS LAND 

 

Stealing wealth from the Bible,

I sold my song for Jesus

to a stranger on the street.

As she signed the check

I told her they streamed as

Mother Mary’s words through me.

Rippled with Bacon’s rhymes,

rapt metaphor, ogre’s folk tales,

I spread reverence pamphlets

throughout the swamplands.

Sunrise brings a service ceremony,

Jubilee songs, the snare of fevered cadence.

Heaven’s harmonies on radio

circulate the day, the house.

Sparrows sing through first light,

fruitful land glowing with glory.

Times are prosperous for some.

I’m finding nickels and pennies in the parks.

I keep them jingling in a jar at home. 

 

 

MORNING TO WORK

 

Dawn just past, early sun

blinds the drive, etches

high rise towers from rain shadows. 

Walking a mud scrape sidewalk

I wipe bottle’s condensation on my jeans,

curse a neighbour’s incessant dog.

Too early for office drama,

I ignore the cell phone pulse.

Ahead of Thursday’s collection,

dumpster divers sift

for bedroom suites and bassinets.

As the landscape crew unloads,

dew-laden plastic festers in the bushes,

crushed cups skitter with a kick.

A hood-sitting robin sings undisturbed

at the hybrid start of my car.

Selecting a CD, I wait until flight

to push the volume on Communique.




         A Pushcart Prize nominee, R.T. Castleberry is an internationally published poet and critic. He was a co-founder of the Flying Dutchman Writers Troupe, co-editor/publisher of the poetry magazine Curbside Review, an assistant editor for Lily Poetry Review and Ardent. His work has appeared in Vita Brevis, Blue Collar Review, Misfit, Trajectory, Pacific Review, White Wall Review, Silk Road and K’in. Internationally, he’s had poetry published in Canada, Great Britain, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, Portugal. the Philippines and Antarctica. He lives and writes in Houston, Texas.

Mr. Castleberry’s work has been featured in the anthologies, Travois-An Anthology of Texas Poetry, TimeSlice, The Weight of Addition, Blue Milk’s anthology, Dawn, Soul X Southwest, Anthem: A Tribute to Leonard Cohen, LEVEL LAND: Poems for and about the I35 Corridor, Kind Of A Hurricane: Without Words, You Can Hear the Ocean: An Anthology of Classic and Current Poetry, Chaos A Poetry Vortex and What I Hear When Not Listening: Best of The Poetry Shack & Fiction, Vol. I.

Mr. Castleberry received a Pushcart Prize nomination in 2014.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Poems by Nancy Tinnell

  I want to sleep for half a second a second, a minute, a century but I want everyone to know that I am still alive that I have a go...