Sunday 23 June 2024

Five Poems by Dianna  Mackinnon Henning 

 



For the Then Little 

 

The hand touches  

things of this world and transforms them. 
  

It’s no accident that the face 

of God is in the palm. 
  

What the hand would do  

for world peace 

  

is seldom mentioned 

in the larger colony of hands.  
 

The hand could be an angel if it tried. 

See how the fingers open like wings.

 

 

In a Village of Trees, I am Seldom Lost 

 

They comfort me. 

 

Their long shadows shutter the ground 

but don’t keep me from walking amongst them. 

 

They sway like Hawaiian dancers, 

their skirts of leaves swishing soft melodies, 

I, a midget amongst them. 

 

Their bellies fill with sap and longing, 

while their festive bark is like metamorphic rock.  

 

I cannot count the times a tree has invited me 

to stillness. 

 

I am shameless in their company. 

 

 

In Light Lit Day 

 

Grass greens while diminutive buds 

begin their mini explosions  

into blasts of full bloom. 

The pond fills with Thompson Peak  

run off, my feet flounder  

on uneven ground. 

 

But oaks don’t mind  

the yard’s massive potholes, 

and I wonder if oaks 

are ladders to mountains  

and if one could sip streams  

from mountain air by perching  

on a high, sturdy branch. 

 

In ancient times, oaks  

were sacred because they existed  

in three worlds: the underworld,  

the middle world and upper heavens.  

They were deemed an oracle tree. 

 

What shaman or wise being 

might appear today to warn the world 

Quit your wars, your greed. 

 

Uneven ground jolts me, 

my middle world a toss-up. 

Roots don’t always steady trees. 

Potholes are sometimes trip-holes. 

 

World, grant me ability 

to fasten belief in a tight grip, 

let my feet sip from streams, 

my toes play tag 

in the shoe of traveller earth. 

Swat your pencil as much as you like. 
Nothing good will come of it. 

 

Demand your pencil walk  

blindfolded through landmines. 

 

Supposing it’s sent to fight  

in Ukraine or Palestine. 

 

More than gear and heavy boots 

would weigh it down.  

 

Pencils don’t come  

with no breakage guarantees. 

 

Small children smothered  

in cement won’t rise. 

 

Explosions skyrocket souls  

over the ruined landscape. 

 

A pencil is useless in such times.  

Erasure won’t work. 

  

Even the Greek and Roman writers  

knew lead was toxic.


 

 

Easy to Miss Something Small 

 

A ball of feathers snugs the cinder blocks of my cabin, 

round and plump and when I turn the clump over, 

it’s a tiny sparrow, hazy eyes already disappearing 

 

like The Father who was seldom present, 

who faded into whiskeys’ distance, 

his black lunch pail a miniature coffin 

carried on a chain of regret. 

 

Listen up, you’ve waisted years on your father, 

stay with the bird you tell yourself, 

but this miniature bird holds significance. 

 

A miscalculation, knocked dead against the window, 

what I surmise happened to this sparrow 

that rests in the cradle of my shovel, 

 

but it wasn’t judgement’s error when Father 

barrelled through Woolworth’s display window, 

drunk on Jack Daniels. 

 

Now where to put my small God— 

out to sun, or on freshly fallen oak leaves 

so, my sparrow might become a tree.



Dianna  Mackinnon Henning - Dianna taught through California Poets in the Schools, received several California Arts Council grants and taught poetry workshops through the William James Association’s Prison Arts Program, including Folsom Prison, and runs The Thompson Peak Writers’ Workshop. Publications, in part: The Tule Review; Verse Virtual 2024; Mocking Heart Review, 2024; Poet News, Sacramento 2024; Worth More Standing, Poets and Activists Pay Homage to Trees; Voices; Artemis Journal, 2021 & 2022 & 2023; The Adirondack Review; Memoir Magazine; The Lake, UK 2024; California Quarterly; The Plague Papers and New American Writing. Nomination by The Adirondack Review for a Pushcart Prize, her seventh nomination. MFA in Writing ’89, Vermont College. Fourth poetry book “Camaraderie of the Marvelous” published by Kelsay Books 2021. Dianna is recently in an anthology, “That a Pretty Thing to Call It, Prose and Poetry by Artists Teaching in Carceral Institutions,” 2023. Pending publication in Blue Heron Review.

https://diannahenning.com 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Poems by Gary Bills

  GRATITUDES   I.   Ah, bless you Mother Moss, for your kindness  when I fall, in this, your sacred place, forgive my silly drunken steps, m...