Friday 10 June 2022

Two Poems by Christine Tabaka


 

Not Quite Ready for Prime-Time

 

Not knowing how to answer the question,

I decide to remain quiet.

I am not quite ready for prime-time,

as I lose my way through the bramble of life.

 

I polish and hone my nib like a blade.

Written words do my talking for me,

translating the sound of birds.

There once was a time I might have spoken.

 

An age where I might have reached out

for love. It has vanished along with all

hope for salvation. As I sit here and

ponder what I will be asked next.

 

Listening to the robin call out.

Watching the bluebird fly.

I can only dream of a freedom

to soar along with my words.

 

 

Awaiting Completion

 

A poem that I started a lifetime ago

sits in my tattered notebook, crying

out to be finished. It thinks that I

have forgotten it / abandoned to the

cobwebs of time. In truth, it still

lingers in my mind. I just do not

know where to go next / how to

complete it. Confused and

misunderstood, it lies there awaiting

my attention. Inspiration eludes me.

I started out so strong. Lost in the

middle, I searched for direction,

only to find emptiness in the next

line. This has happened so many

times before. As aging notebooks

pile up inside the dark desk drawer,

waiting …

longing …

to be touched / caressed once more,

by my loving pen.




Ann Christine Tabaka was nominated for the 2017 Pushcart Prize in Poetry. She is the winner of Spillwords Press 2020 Publication of the Year, her bio is featured in the “Who’s Who of Emerging Writers 2020 and 2021,” published by Sweetycat Press. She is the author of 14 poetry books, and 1 short story book. She lives in Delaware, USA. She loves gardening and cooking.  Chris lives with her husband and four cats. Her most recent credits are: Eclipse Lit, Carolina Muse, Sparks of Calliope; The Closed Eye Open, North Dakota Quarterly, Tangled Locks Journal, Wild Roof Journal, The American Writers Review, Burningword Literary Journal, Muddy River Poetry Review, The Silver Blade, Pomona Valley Review, West Texas Literary Review, The Hungry Chimera, Sheila-Na-Gig, Fourth & Sycamore.

*(a complete list of publications is available upon request)

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, loved your words...
    I also have many unfinished poems stagnating in drafts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the poems. Both so relatable and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Five Poems by Ken Gosse

  Oddities and Endities, Five Poems about Poetry   The Day The Sky Laughed (a circular senryu)   Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird...