Monday 13 June 2022

One Poem by Victor Kennedy



Untitled


I remember when I was young

lying on the grass, looking at clouds in a blue sky.

I remember reading Wordsworth in school

and thinking, yes, I know that feeling

of discovery, serenity, delight.

I've felt it a few times, but, looking back, too few.

The world got in the way.

 

I know it will go on without me,

so why don't I do myself a favour and let it?

Stop!

Listen to the wind in the trees,

lie on the grass, look at the clouds in the sky,

turn off the News of the World,

tune in to the real world.

 

Victor Kennedy teaches English and American literature at the University of Maribor, Slovenia. He is the author of several books and articles on songs and song lyrics, including Strange Brew, and editor of collections including Words and Music, and Symphony and Song. His poems have been published in Trouvaille and Crumbs.  He is the guitarist for the surf band Strici iz ozadja and bassist for the rock band Invite (songs available on Youtube).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...