Saturday 11 September 2021

Five Wonderful Poems by Charlotte Cosgrove

 



Waiting


The neighbours are outside almost fighting -

I can feel it coming out of their skin,

Lining the air.

I gamble in my mind

Who is going to push or punch first.

I hear a sound.

I want something bad to happen.

 

When I have a sore ear

I want them to tell me

It's a burst eardrum -

A baby bomb detonated in my head.

This is all because later on there is

Only me

Sitting in the downstairs room

Waiting for the neighbours to fight -

For something to happen. 

 

 

Sorry for your Loss


They told me he was lost -

Like keys.

My mother trying to remember the last jangle

Before she placed them down.

Forgot where she put him.

I was angry she could be so careless.

I wasn’t even allowed to take something to the shop

In case I lost it.

 

I started looking under beds for him,

Round the back of the shed,

The linen cupboard.

 

I wandered through the front door

Searching for him.

She would always find me -

Arms limp at my sides

Like broken stalks.

 

She guided me back indoors.

Apologised to family and friends

By telling them -

She’s just so lost. 

 

 

Can’t Stop Pulling at Hairs


My head has a slight bald patch now

The size of sliced cucumber.

Just behind the right ear where no one can really see it -

Right for spite.

 

I’ve twisted my pubes into coarse plaits

So the skin bubbles up at the root

Like pink molehills, craters of acne scars.

I’ve rubbed them between my fingers

Until they are asphalt rough,

Fossilised worms.

 

I want to be bald,

A hairless new born,

Re enter the world

Gloriously smooth

With nothing to pull or pick at.

 

With hand eye coordination not developed

Like me, embryonic. 

 

 

Wildfires


They don’t seem wild anymore these wildfires.

For something to be wild it feels as if

It should be rare.

To see the wild animals

And to live near wilderness

Should be a rarity.

I am waiting for the bushes outside my house

To flare up; wildy.

I could do it myself

Burn them to the ground.

I could do the whole neighbourhood

And that one act of

Ordinary to wild

Would conjure pondering,

Draw attention

More than these

Wildfires.

 

 

Things With No Owners

       

A book of stamps, one peeled away

Like part of a satsuma.

I wonder if she knew

That the stamps would outlive her.

It could have been anything,

The twenty pence piece that had slipped through

The bag’s shoddy lining.

Did a shiver run down her spine?

As the shop girl handed it to her

Crumpled in the receipt.

A modest shining gift,

Dropped in the bag.

Falling into the unsewn cavity.

Lost objects.

Things with no owners.




Charlotte Cosgrove is a poet and teacher from Liverpool, England. She is published in Trouvaille Review, Dreich, Beyond Words, The Literary Yard and a  Wingless Dreamer anthology. She has work forthcoming in Confingo, Amethyst magazine, The Broadkill Review, Words and Whispers, Sledgehammer and New Contexts 2: an anthology. Charlotte was recently shortlisted for the Julian Lennon poetry prize and has been shortlisted (awaiting results) for the Loft Books poetry prize and short story prize. She is Editor of Rough Diamond Poetry Journal.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...