Tuesday 6 July 2021

Two Poems by Ursula O'Reilly

 



CRACKS 

 

I am building a castle.

Upon years of toil

And sleepless nights, disturbed

By yearning dreams.

My castle will be fine,

Towering and resplendent,

By a sleeping lake.

 

Long years I spent

Laying the foundation.

And oftentimes I thought

It complete.

But cracks appeared,

And rolling years I spent

Filling the cracks.

 

Now, at last,

It is solid and firm.

And set upon mountain rock.

I eagerly build my walls,

Plan my rooms, and know

My castle will be a lasting

Pleasure to the eye.

 

A light to the eye

Of each traveller passing.

For I have filled the cracks,

Hardened the concrete,

And counted each brick.

And I know

My fortress of rest is complete.

Oops!

 


SPACE BETWEEN MINUTES 

 

The clock on the wall,

That sober judge.

Calls people to follow

 

The march of his hands.

They follow their whims,

Fancies and thoughts.

 

In a dance of desire,

Folly and dreams.

They rush to achieve.

 

Blind, follow The Piper,

Chasing their rainbows

To empty gold pots.

 

The silence of ages,

Is found in the peace

Of space between minutes.

 

Stop now and catch it,

Before it dissolves.

A drifting soap bubble.

 

In space between minutes,

Lost treasures are held.

Whole, perfect and still.




Ursula O’Reilly lives in County Cavan, Ireland.  She enjoys writing poetry and short stories. Other interests include painting, and walking her Jack Russel terrier, Buddy. Ursula has had poetry and fiction published online and in a number of magazines including Woman’s Way, Drumlin magazine (Ireland), and by Earlyworks Press

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Ken Gosse

  Oddities and Endities, Five Poems about Poetry   The Day The Sky Laughed (a circular senryu)   Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird...