Thursday 8 July 2021

Ekphrasis Flash Fiction Piece by Jana Hunterova & Mark Blickley

 



“BREAKDOWN BREAKTHROUGH”


So what if my instrument doesn’t have a reed? It’s just a thin piece of cane attached to the mouthpiece, the sound producing agent for the instrument. Why does it matter that all an audience can hear when I’m on stage is the clicking of the keys against the pads, and the sound of me inhaling and exhaling? When I would blow into that sax, it was like the Lord breathing life into Adam. God, I loved my silent saxophone!

Professor Bindt was no con man. He didn’t steal my music lesson money. With his guidance, I always entered a trance-like state whenever my lips touched the empty mouthpiece. I can’t describe the joy I got from playing my sax. My eyes would automatically close and I’d just drift.

Not only could I hear this rich music, but I’d see such incredible colors and visions. And the smells! Oh, the smells. It was beyond joy. Sometimes I’d capture this penetrating sorrow, but that, too, was exquisite and always left me refreshed.

I had tapped that special place Professor Bindt assured me I’d find. I know it sounds strange but the vibrations inside my instrument shook spirit and released these . . . these . . .

Gershwin once said he had more tunes in his head than he could put down on paper in a hundred years. With Professor Bindt’s revolutionary approach, a musician didn’t need a hundred years to complete his vision. Music isn’t marks on paper or grooves on a CD or streaming soundwaves. It’s here. Inside your head.

My mute saxophone supplied a structure. It channeled my musical energies. I may have played without a reed, but Professor Bindt taught me all the fingering and breathing techniques any saxophonist needs to be accomplished on the instrument.

Look, anyone can play an instrument. Only a select few can compose, can create art. The Professor’s teachings didn’t limit me to the sounds a saxophone could make. When my saxophone took off, it wasn’t an instrument, but instrumental in producing a music no single woodwind, or even orchestra, could reproduce. It was energy and love and anger and trust.



Jana Hunterova  (Photo) lives in Prague and is a Czech award-winning freelance photographer, filmmaker, and a doctoral program student at the Institute of Creative Photography of the Silesian University in Opava.  She is a member of the international art cooperative, Urban Dialogues. http://janahunterova.com/

Mark Blickley (words) is a proud member of the Dramatist Guild and PEN American Center. His latest book is the text-based art collaboration with fine arts photographer Amy Bassin, Dream Streams.Clare Songbirds Publishing House - Amy Bassin & Mark Blickley





No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Ken Gosse

  Oddities and Endities, Five Poems about Poetry   The Day The Sky Laughed (a circular senryu)   Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird...