Monday, 7 October 2024

One Poem by Lawrence H. Climo

 




When I'm Asked,

"Do You Believe in God?"

I Think That's the Wrong Question     




Since childhood I've felt something watching over me

And it gave me comfort.


I never asked my Self who or why?

I never told anyone. 

Why should I?

It felt like a part of me.


As I aged, what did it ever tell me? What did it mean? 

I never bothered to ask.

It was just me talking to myself.


In my adult years, when people asked,

"Do you believe in God?"

I found myself saying, "Yes".

To say "No" would only invite more questions

So "Yes" felt right. It gave me peace.


It also gave me a feeling of purpose, order, and resolve.

And left me feeling good and right. A better person.

Go figure.


The better question, of course,

And the more accurate and telling question, would have been:

"Do you sometimes feel that you're never alone?”









Lawrence H. Climo is a Vietnam Vet, board-certified psychiatrist, and a writer. He has practiced psychotherapy and psychopharmacology in inpatient and outpatient settings, been a teacher, administrator, forensic consultant as well as writer. His articles have appeared in professional, academic, and popular journals and magazines and he is the author of books, The Patient Was Vietcong: An American Doctor in the Vietnamese Health Service, 1966-1967; Psychiatrist on the Road: Encounters in Healing and Healthcare; Caregiving: Lives Derailed (under the pseudonym Eli Cannon), and From Toxic Civil Discourse to Saving a World: A Midrash-Guided Memoir of a Vietnam Vet. 

1 comment:

Lothlorien Poetry Journal: Best of the Net Nominations 2027

Lothlorien Poetry Journal: Best of the Net Nominations :     Lothlorien Poetry Journal Best of the Net Nominations 2027. Congratulat...