Sunday 6 October 2024

Five Poems by Martina Reisz Newberry

 




Atmospheric Conditions 

 

You wouldn’t think  

a city this big  

would ever be quiet,  

but it can be 

and is tonight– 

because of the wind, I think.  

The palm trees, their lion heads,  

worry the atmosphere– 

no sirens,  

no shouting,  

no shots fired,  

no fireworks, 

no bass(sans music)  

thumping the asphalt.  

 

Just  

the far-away rustle  

of those fronds  

and the unease  

the wind always brings– 

the mind,  

the fingertips,  

the soles of the feet  

whisper 

Something is about to happen.



 

Hour of the Carnivores 

 

Are you real?  

he asked afterward. 

 

Of course.  

she lied. 

I’m as real as you’d like me to be. 

 

I am without rights,  

he said 

because you’re married. 

 

To a behemoth  

she said–a Mare of Diomedes– 

Deimos the Terrible. 

 

Who is that?  

he asked. 

Deimos the what? 

 

A mythological man-eating horse 

(or in this case a woman-eating horse)  

she said. 

 

Why do you stay?  

he asked 

Because what he’s killed  

 

and consumed 

she said. 

can’t be brought back to life.  

 

Does it bother you?  

she asked 

Not at all he said. 

 

Let’s have lunch  

he said 

I’m starved  

he said.



 

Joy 

 

Heartsong says Not today 

but I can still remember 

every delicious mistake, 

every misstep made in the dance.



 

The Failure of Summer to Last Forever 

 

My bedroom window needs something  

bright and pretty to look out on,  

but the pretty things are all sleeping  

or on vacation.  

Summer has left a hole in the atmosphere.  

Fall’s cold air fills it in.  

All empty space are filled 

with whatever is appropriate  

or handy–mostly handy.  

 

I’m not a patient person.  

I fidget and fuss my days 

through the other seasons.  

I want summer to come back as soon as it’s gone.  

I miss it even when it’s here.   

I’ve been told I’m crazy and I say to that:  

Only the sun and the Star Jasmine hedge 

know what I mean.



 

Men With Character Flaws 

 

I don’t remember any affectionate moments  

or gentle touches  

between my mother and her brother, Chester.  

 

I recall the argument she had with my father  

about Uncle Chet  

coming to live with us.  

 

Mother insisted that her brother  

didn’t drink anymore;  

all he needed was a job and a place to stay.  

 

Dad, you got him a job where you worked  

shovelling slag at the open hearth.  

Mama, you cleaned his clothes, fed him at our table.  

 

The day he got fired for drinking on the job,  

he took money from Mother’s purse,  

bought a bus ticket and went back to 7th street– 

 

or was it Alameda–or 3rd–anyway, back  

to Skid Row in Los Angeles. 

The next time Mother saw him was on Mission Rd.  

 

He was an Unclaimed Body  

at the “Medical Examiner’s” building– 

(that is to say the morgue) on Mission Rd. in Los Angeles. 

 

I’ve never known if Mother “claimed” him or not.  

She wouldn’t say. 

I saw the plastic bag she was given  

 

It held a cuff link and a broken watch,  

a wire-thin gold ring and a Zippo lighter. 

My father never spoke his name again.









Martina Reisz Newberry is the author of 8 books of poetry. Her  most recent book is Beyond Temples (available now from Deerbrook Editions), She is also the author of Glyphs(from Deerbrook Editions.    Blues for French Roast with Chicory, available from Deerbrook Editions, the author of  Never Completely Awake ( from Deerbrook Editions), Where It Goes (Deerbrook Editions), Learning by Rote (Deerbrook Editions), Running Like a Woman with Her Hair on Fire (Red Hen Press), and Take the Long Way Home (Unsolicited Press). 


Newberry has been included in Lothlorien Poetry JournalThe High Window, Creation Magazine, Millennium Pulp, Quail Bell Magazine, Slipstream Press, many other literary magazines and several anthologies in the U.S. and abroad.


She has been awarded residencies at Yaddo Colony for the Arts, Djerassi Colony for the Arts, and Anderson Center for Disciplinary Arts. 


Passionate in her love for Los Angeles, Martina currently lives there with her husband, Brian, a Media Creative. Her city often is a “player” in her poems. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Anne Mikusinski

  Diagrams     Life is a pie chart   Shade it three-quarters    Due to waiting   For news   Or answers   Or reasons why   But keep that one-...