Friday 4 October 2024

Five Poems by Nolo Segundo

 




ONCE, I COULD FLY 

 

Once I could fly, 

Without a plane, 

Unconstrained  

By gravity, and 

Unbounded by 

Mother Earth. 

 

I would soar like 

A human eagle, 

My arms wings, 

My heart warm 

And beating 

Notes of joy. 

 

High up in the 

Cool air I was 

Safe, lord of  

All I saw as  

I dived and 

Banked, rose 

And fell again,  

Brushing close  

To ground but 

Never touching, 

Then pumping  

Winged arms 

To reach far 

Above trite, 

Boring worlds 

Whose creatures 

Wore chains 

Too heavy to 

Let them fly. 

 

Oh, how I loved 

That time when  

The child I was  

Could fly every 

Night in special 

Dreams, or so 

It seemed.  

I suppose they 

Really were not 

So frequent,                                                                                                              

Those nights when 

I could jump off a 

Roof or a cliff and 

Know, truly know 

I could sail the 

Untamed winds. 

 

But as I began to 

Depart childhood, 

My flying dreams 

Grew scarce, and 

Their glory less— 

I would have to 

Flap my arms, 

Hard and hard 

To gain any air, 

And even so I  

Could barely  

Free my body  

Of the heavy 

And dull earth.  

 

Then one day, 

It was done,  

finished, and 

I had to walk--- 

to fly no more. 

 

Yes, once I could  

Fly, and whether 

It came from some 

Dim, dim memory 

Of heaven or a  

kid’s imagination 

I know not—but 

Seventy years past,  

And still I long  

To fly free again. 

 



A Passing Glance 

 

 

The other day  

as I turned the corner  

onto my quiet street 

 

I saw a woman so perfect, 

she snatched my breath away 

as she waited to cross the road. 

 

It was like seeing a movie star 

or a beauty queen close-up-- 

my heart ached a bit, I confess, 

when I thought, once, a long 

while ago, I might have had a 

chance…. 

 

But now I’m just an old man  

driving an old car to an old house. 

I drove slowly and could see  

her gracefully crossing the street  

in my rear-view mirror, much like  

a dream fading quickly away… 

suddenly, from somewhere far 

beyond my mind, I realized 

the truth of what I saw, and 

it was all just stupid illusion-- 

 

She was young and beautiful, 

I, old and lame, but those were 

just markers on the wheel of time: 

the wheel would turn,  

my body would die, hers would age,  

no longer enrapturing men-- in truth 

she was already an old woman which 

I could not see, nor could I see the 

sweet child still playing within her. 

 

When there are no more days left, 

our souls will be free of the wheel, 

and all the world’s illusions will  

seem as distant, fading dreams….





THE POET AND THE DOCTOR 

 

 

The poet and the doctor became friends late in life-- 

as old men they looked over the past in similar ways, 

wishing their youth never ended, their work continued, 

their lives again resplendent and filled with promise 

as the one healed the body and the other the soul…. 

 

But Time is always Life’s master till Death frees both, 

and so the doctor sent his patients away and the poet 

lost his words, the words he tried to heal with, words 

that sang and danced and played like carefree children. 

 

The poet told his friend, the doctor, how he found his soul 

whilst in the blackest part of hell, utterly alone, in pain 

far beyond any pain the doctor ever treated, the forgotten 

soul the poet found again when he threw his life away…. 

 

The doctor listened to his friend, the poet, but could not 

or perhaps just would not believe-- he could not see 

existence beyond mortality, nor purpose beyond chance. 

 

The doctor was so wise as to be foolish, thought the poet, 

and I, so foolish as to be wise?, he wondered to himself.





Ode To Mrs. Miller


                                                                 

I did not know how brave she was-- 

Ninety-two and I, seventy less, 

So young that old age 

Was textbook stuff:  

A fact of life, 

But not mine. 

 

I was alive and free  

To stride the world, 

A colossus of youth— 

Whereas she had ate 

Almost a century. 

And all her friends 

And all her family  

Lay dead somewhere— 

Except in her mind, 

Still crisp, poignant 

In its memories 

Of a wealthy husband, 

A daughter dead young. 

Her own youth and beauty 

Remaining lonely in a  

Silver-framed photo. 

 

She never complained, 

This old lady— 

Never once did I hear 

Lamentations, a bewailing 

For the richness of life: 

The ripe fullness she once felt 

As a wife, a mother, a woman 

Of grace and beauty. 

 

She lived alone 

In a basement flat, 

Barely five feet tall— 

Yet I’ve never known 

Any being braver— 

Yet it is only now, 

When I am become old, 

I envy such courage.





Living In a Dry Land 

 

 

They who choose to live in a dry land 

must live a very dry life--  

too parched to sing, too dried out by what 

they call ‘reason’ to see they have made 

it hollow, a partial thing, a blind thing….  

 

They have made their world so arid even 

hope is scorched while the human is left 

desiccated, no wetness left for good or 

evil, not even for the inscrutable miracle 

of love-- 

for in their sere minds all of life shrivels, 

left scorched, withered-- burnt fragments 

that were once honour, courage, faith--now  

they see only an empty desert bounded by  

death, extinction, nothingness….  

 

A man once came to them, to that desert 

their seared souls had made. He offered 

them water, water to quench their thirst, 

to moisten their minds, to make green  

and lush once again their world, all done 

with water, the holiest of water that would  

lead them from a paradise to Paradise. 

 

A few drank of the water, the water of 

life and hope and awareness-- 

the water of Eternity-- 

but the others refused it, fearing the 

man who brought it so much,  

they killed him. 

 

Two thousand years later,  

some drink from His water of Life 

and others choose a shrivelled life, 

too dry for hope, too dead for any 

meaning….




Nolo Segundo, pen name of L.J.Carber, became a widely published poet in his mid-70's in over 190 literary journals/anthologies in America, Canada, England, Romania, Scotland, Portugal, Australia, Sweden, India and Turkey. A trade publisher has released 3 book length collections: The Enormity of Existence [2020], Of Ether and Earth [2021], and Soul Songs [2022]. These titles like much of his work reflect the awareness he's had since having an NDE when as a 24 year old agnostic-materialist, believing only matter was real and so death meant extinction, he lept into a Vermont river in an attempt to end the suffering of a major clinical depression. He learned that day the utter reality that poets, Plato, and Jesus have spoken of for millennia: that every sentient human has a consciousness that predates birth and survives death--a soul. A retired teacher [America, Japan, Taiwan, and Cambodia in the mid-70's] he's been married 43 years to a smart and beautiful Taiwanese woman.

 

 





 

  

  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Anne Mikusinski

  Diagrams     Life is a pie chart   Shade it three-quarters    Due to waiting   For news   Or answers   Or reasons why   But keep that one-...