Saturday 11 November 2023

If I killed Somebody - Flash Fiction Story by Joshua Britton

 



If I killed Somebody


Flash Fiction Story

by Joshua Britton 


“Hey, Mom. If I killed somebody, would you turn me in?”

“What?!”

“If I killed somebody, you know, but I’m still your son. Would you turn me in?”

“Yes, I would.”

“What?! Why?”

“Because you killed somebody.”

“But I’m your son!”

“True, but killing is wrong. And, because I love you, I would still need to punish you for doing bad things so hopefully you would learn not to do them again.”

“But I could go to jail!”

“I would think so!”

“But what if it wasn’t my fault? What if I had to, like I didn’t have a choice? Would you turn me in then?”

“Yes. And, if it truly wasn’t you fault and you are truly innocent, I would have faith in the justice system to figure that out.”

“Faith in the justice system! Are you kidding me?”

“That’s what we have a justice system for, judges and lawyers, and a jury: to sift through everything and determine who’s innocent and guilty.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. What if I was black?”

“If you were black?”

“Yes, what if I was black?”

“Are you still my son?”

“Yes!”

“Did I adopt you? Or am I black, too?”

“I don’t know. You’re black, too, I guess.”

“Interesting.”

“Would you turn me in then?”

“If we were different people than who we actually are, would I turn you in? Is that what you’re asking?”

“If you were black and I was your black son and I killed somebody but it wasn’t my fault, would you still have faith in the justice system?”

“…”

“Mom, would you?”

“I would have less faith.”

“So, you might not turn me in?”

“I suppose I might not, no.”


Joshua Britton is the author of the short story collection, Tadpoles and the novelette, Heart Decisions. His short fiction and non-fiction have been published in many journals including Frontier Times, Nymphs, Cobalt Review, Bodega Magazine, and Fictional Cafe. Joshua lives in Louisville. Follow him on Twitter @JP_Britton and on the web at www.joshua_britton.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Karen A VandenBos

  Luminescence   I sit on shore on a windless night where the sea of glass comes alive, the luminescent green of ctenophores risin...