Thursday 1 December 2022

Five Poems by Ursula O'Reilly

 



 

IN PRIMROSE WOOD

 

One evening at sunset, I walked in Primrose Wood. The lonesome sun departing, shadows creeping low. Trees stood like sentinels guarding, proud and tall. The light glowed in that eerie place, golden-pink and dim. I stopped to smell the blossoms, to rest awhile and heal; and the grasses whispered secrets, and I watched the Faeries dance. For numerous sprites were gathered there, all dancing in a round. They sang about the moonbeams as they watched the sun retreat.  Birds cheeped a chorus, and the wind became still. Time stopped in awe, at the display unfolding. I viewed the scene in wonder, scarce believing my eyes. In Primrose Wood at sunset, as I watched the Fae Folk dance.



GNOMES

 

Gnomes ramble on the hill,

No one observes but me.

Wander through dales and glens,

Though few mortals perceive

 

Visiting their goblin friends,

Fairies, and their kin.

Pausing at a dwelling there,

Strange house on the hill.

 

Wild creatures know them.

Birds chirrup all the day,

About folk who amble there.

Gnomes from far beyond.

 

The travellers are jovial,

As many Fae Folk are.

Bestowing benevolence as

They journey from afar.

 

Take care if you venture,

Beside the curious house.

Though you may not see,

Gnomes meander there.

 


MAGIC FOUND  

 

I found a golden coin one day,

Where no one ever goes.

Down in the wood, the fairy wood,

Beneath a silver moon.

I gazed upon my treasure,

Foretoken of good luck.

Turned for home enchanted,

At magic I had found.

 

That night I dreamed of fairy folk

Of goblins, and of elves.

Down in the wood, the fairy wood,

All dancing in a round.

They sang of magic found and lost,

Lost and found again.

I held onto my golden coin,

And danced along with them.

 


WHERE ROSES BLOOM

 

Where roses bloom,

Wine flows in abundance.

Sun glows red and yellow.

Let my heart rest there.

 

Stories are ever new,

Sunlight ever glowing.

Sapphire sky kisses trees.

Let my heart rest there.

 

People are delightful,

Light shines from within.

The earth ever joyful,

Sunlight never dims.

 

Despots are forbidden,

The callous will not know.

Oasis of goodwill,

Let my heart rest there. 



VOICES


In my broken-down heart there was no light. Trees, skeletal and grey, loomed against the darkening sky. A storm was rising. I grasped my coat against the unrelenting wind. There were lights on that path, but I did not perceive them. Voices called my name, but I heard only the screeching wind, like a long-forgotten banshee beseeching to be found. The cold wrapped around me and I carried on walking. Until one day I stopped. The wind stilled; I heard a voice urging me to turn. I turned onto another road. The storm ceased; blackness shifted. The grass and trees were greener there. Taking comfort, I continued. Eventually, the sky lightened, the sun appeared. I could hear voices urging me not to give up, not to look behind. I continued until darkness became a memory. Until the day I was surrounded by light. The light of hope had found me. It would not abandon me again.

‘Magic Found’ was published online in 2021, in Young Ravens Literary Review’. The other four poems are previously unpublished.




Ursula O’Reilly is a writer/artist living in County Cavan, Ireland. She is the author of numerous poems and short stories. Her tales are drawn from life experiences, fairy stories and mythology, and people/events, real or imagined.

Ursula’s work has appeared online and in various literary magazines including: ‘Dawntreader Magazine’, ‘Vita Brevis Press’, ‘The Literary Yard’, ‘Poetry Plus magazine’, ‘Woman’s Way magazine’, ‘Young Ravens Literary Review’, ‘Otherwise Engaged Literary and Arts Journal’, ‘Personal Bests Journal’, ‘The Green Shoe Sanctuary’ and by ‘Southern Arizona Press.’


2 comments:

  1. I love the prose poems, it's made me see their scope in a way I haven't before. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere - Short Story by Duane L Herrmann

  Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere Short Story by Duane L Herrmann     “Did you hear of the tragedy at Lindisfarne, Britannia...